April 6, 2014

Just Let Them Play

Yesterday I attended a seven hour early childhood training conference for my state childcare license. It was one of the best conference's I have attended in quite some time. I was not looking forward to going. Sitting at a table for seven hours did not seem like such a great way to spend nice (60 degree) spring Saturday....but I'm so glad I did. I walked away feeling uplifted and energized about early learning again.

The conference was titled "Take Time to Play". The presenter was a very knowledgeable and very passionate educator named Jeffy A. Johnson. You can learn more about him here. And I highly recommend that you do (and in no way am I being paid or getting any sort of compensation for suggesting you look him up). I found myself agreeing over and over again (I even caught myself nodding over and over again) at a large majority of what he says speaking so passionately about.

Though I'd love to share with you everything that was covered during those seven hours it would be way to time consuming for both of us so I will just give you the highlights.

*Free play ... dramatic play, imagination play, exploration play, etc .... is so important in early childhood.  I'm talking about child-lead, child-directed play..... play where the child gets to pick what they do (the task), how they play (the technique), how much or how little time they do it (the time), and who they choose to include in their play (the team). Children are learning through play.


* Play is in the child NOT the toy. Place toys or objects in the child's environment which can be manipulated in multiple ways.....items like cardboard boxes for example. A child can imagine it's a space ship, or a boat, or a tall tower, or a refrigerator....or whatever they come up with.


* Create 'YES' environments (not environments where you are constantly telling the child no). These are environments where children are free to explore their natural curiosities without fear of being told no.


* Add something new to their environment then stand back and watch what they do. This can be something tangible or even an idea or suggestion.  Watch their imaginations unfold....it's truly amazing!


* Allow play to be spontaneous. Do not over-plan it....just go with the flow. See where their imagination takes you.


* Be observant....watch and learn. I've been a caregiver for young children for the past fourteen years and I'm still amazed at their wonder and excitement of the world around them. It's truly inspiring.


This conference was such a good reminder to let children play. They are learning so much from play.... things that you cannot teach them from a book or sitting quietly in circle time. If you do not believe me about how important play is to our early development I dare you to research the importance of play.

When you were growing up were your fondest early learning memories when you were sitting in circle time or behind a desk being drilled on your ABC's or where they when you were allowed and encouraged to explore on your own, at your own pace, in your own time the world around you on the playground, on a nature hike, or in your own backyard?

No comments:

Post a Comment