February 13, 2014

Snow Ice Cream .... Yum!

I don't have to tell you if you live in the Midwest how unpredictable our weather can be from day to day .... sometimes even from hour to hour! This weekend we are expecting highs in the lower 50's while just late last week we had below zero temperatures and snow! Sometimes when it is really cold or it snows my husband is home early from work as he has an "outside job" so we had some extra help gathering and preparing our treat. On a day were we had freshly fallen snow we decided to make snow ice cream as an afternoon snack! What a yummy and fun treat! I've heard about it over the years but never have tried it. So we gave it a try! I must say it was very delicious! My husband added chocolate syrup to his but my daughter and I had it plain.

My daughter had a blast bundling up and heading outside for a very quick trip to gather up some freshly fallen snow. They were out there less than 3 minutes because it was so cold! After gathering the snow and shedding themselves of multiple layers it was time to get the ingredients and mix them all together in a big bowl.

Ingredients include:
  • 4 cups fresh snow
  • 1 cup milk (any kind would work, we used skim)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • Optional: chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, sprinkles, etc. 
Serve immediately as it will begin to melt...just like normal ice cream. It was delicious! It reminded me of the homemade ice cream my father-in-law makes for special occasions about once a year. I highly recommend making this at least once with your kids! We were having so much fun making it and eating it I only remembered to take one picture!

 
Next time it snows I'm sure we will make another batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment