April 26, 2014

One of the BEST Appetizers You'll Ever Make!

Alligator Eyes, Pickle Pinwheels, Pickle Things...whatever you choose to call them just know they are very delicious!

I dare you after making these to eat just one!


I've been making these yummy treats for over 15 years now. I've perfected the art of making them. This is the number one food I'm requested to take to family get-togethers and it's the first dish to be gone!

Here is the important part...after so many years of making these I've found the best brands that go well together to make these the best they can be. You can try making them using other brands but once you have them this way you'll never go back!

Ingredients:
* Budding Original pastrami (2 oz package). I usually buy these on sale for around 50-69 cents and freeze them. When I'm needing to make them I pop them out of the freezer and into the refrigerator the night before I make them.
* Claussen Kosher Dill Mini pickles (always chilled - you'll find it in the refrigerator in the pickle section).
* 2 (8 oz) packages of Cream Cheese. This one you can use any brand you want.

Directions:
1. Place pastrami flat on a plate, platter, or cutting board. NOTE: If you previously froze your pastrami you may want to use a paper towel and pat them dry as they get a little slippery while thawing. 
2. Spread cream cheese thinly over the pastrami. NOTE: Keep the cream cheese chilled until using...it "spreads" better when cold!.
3. Arrange a dill pickle on one end of the pastrami and roll it up.
4. Place a 2nd piece of pastrami flat on a plate, platter, or cutting board and repeat steps 2 and 3.
5. Refrigerate in a covered container for 30 minutes or more. NOTE: you can refrigerate these overnight...they will still taste the same! This is how I usually make them!
6. Cut "pickle things" into appetizer size pieces and place on a serving dish (see picture above). NOTE: I cut the ends off and leave them behind at home as a nice treat for myself and my husband as they will be eaten fast at the party....Sometimes I do not even get one at the party so it's nice to have a few when I come home later!
7. Enjoy the deliciousness and enjoy seeing how quickly these are devoured! 

At first it can seem time consuming to make these but once you've perfected making them it will go much faster! Remember they do not have to be perfect! 

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try these! Good to know about the brands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are super yummy! I make them several times a year for family gatherings. Yes, the brands are a must. The Claussen pickles are the best....they add a good crunch whereas some of the other pickles can be a bit soggy.

    ReplyDelete